What's the secret to auto bright lights

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

SR22pilot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes I have had the auto bright lights work well. Other times it is totally dark and they refuse to turn to bright. Any special secret? Do I have to set them manually the first time?

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
There's no secret really. Just make sure you have it enabled under the light controls and push the left stalk forward. When you see the grey auto high beam symbol in your display it's ready and working. The vision system will automatically detect oncoming cars and turn them off and on for you. However there are times when false-positives make them turn off when they're not supposed to. It happens, even on other cars equipped with a similar system

dannyskim

For auto high beams, if you set the option to on and then turn on your high beams, technically the system will do it's best to adjust them in any given situation, meaning that it's set it once and done.

I've found that it doesn't handle some situations the way I would, so I don't use it unless I'm on a long road trip and want the auto dimming to take one more thing off my plate.

SR22pilot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone. I have had it enabled. I guess it didn't hit me that I had to manually turn on brights the first time. I thought it would do it itself when it could including the first time.

babula

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How do you manually turn them on? When I push the stalk forward, I can toggle them but unless I hold it there they will turn off.

Am I forgetting something completely obvious here? I seldom use them so maybe I missed something.

dannyskim

How do you manually turn them on? When I push the stalk forward, I can toggle them but unless I hold it there they will turn off.

Am I forgetting something completely obvious here? I seldom use them so maybe I missed something.
Sorry my previous directions were incorrect.

If you go into the Driving menu and turn off Auto High Beam, and then push the left stalk away from you, you will see that this toggles the High Beam. When you turn Auto High Beam back on, you'll see that it will adjust the Auto High Beam (toggle) for your environment.

I've seen it auto turn on my high beams in some situations, but it doesn't behave the way I would which is why I don't generally keep it on.

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had little experience with auto high beams, so my expectations are free-floating. I find them of marginal usefulness, depending on the situation. It's good for a country road with little to confuse the system. Elsewhere, there are too many things that trigger low beams. It's puzzling how the system can believe a big green highway sign high and on the right is an oncoming car.

Also, the convention around here is that if you can see tail lights ahead, no matter the distance, you should dim your lights; the system waits too long. (We must be sensitive to those who do not have auto-dimming mirrors.)

Anyway, one way of thinking about them is as a backup to your own attentiveness.

A feature is that if your lights are set to high but are currently dimmed, pulling the stalk flashes the high beams. We do need that feature to signal others to dim their brights, but at other times you must be careful not to send an inadvertent signal.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes I have had the auto bright lights work well. Other times it is totally dark and they refuse to turn to bright. Any special secret? Do I have to set them manually the first time?
I've noticed the same behavior. I'm wondering if perhaps Telsa reduced the sensitivity of the auto-bright in a recent software update because mine definitely were more sensitive (i.e., turning on more readily) a couple weeks ago.

mdfraz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Old firmware, new firmware, the auto headlights are useless on my car. They don't turn on high when they should (pitch black and no one around) and they didn't dim when cars were coming directly at me. I don't even bother with that setting.

sduck

Country
Country
The auto brights work pretty well for me. One thing I've noticed that's a bit vexing - if I'm sitting somewhere in the car for a bit, and turn the headlights off, when I turn them back on I have to re-enable the auto-brights by toggling the left lever again. Wish it would remember that I had them on.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The auto brights work pretty well for me. One thing I've noticed that's a bit vexing - if I'm sitting somewhere in the car for a bit, and turn the headlights off, when I turn them back on I have to re-enable the auto-brights by toggling the left lever again. Wish it would remember that I had them on.
I've also found them to work quite well. but, if you flash your brights (like signaling a semi he is clear and can change lanes), you have to re-enable with the lever. it is nice that it shows (in grey) that the auto headlight function is active on the screen though.
my only issue with them, is if I am distantly following another car, it will keep the high beams on whereas I would turn them off as not to annoy that driver.

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have found that they won't turn on automatically until you are going at least 25 mph, which makes them decidedly less useful to me. My neighborhood has a very steep hill on a road without a sidewalk, and I like to take it pretty slowly in case there are pedestrians or animals over the crest. This is precisely the kind of situation where I find auto high beams helpful, yet they don't turn on until I am going faster than I would like, so I often trigger them manually along that stretch by pulling the stalk towards me and holding it. It's annoying but not terribly so, as it's only a run of a few hundred feet, with no curves.

I find that they work fairly well otherwise, but not as well as the ones on my wife's Volvo.

babula

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have found that they won't turn on automatically until you are going at least 25 mph, which makes them decidedly less useful to me. My neighborhood has a very steep hill on a road without a sidewalk, and I like to take it pretty slowly in case there are pedestrians or animals over the crest. This is precisely the kind of situation where I find auto high beams helpful, yet they don't turn on until I am going faster than I would like, so I often trigger them manually along that stretch by pulling the stalk towards me and holding it. It's annoying but not terribly so, as it's only a run of a few hundred feet, with no curves.

I find that they work fairly well otherwise, but not as well as the ones on my wife's Volvo.
That's odd... Any idea why 25MPH is the magic number? I also mainly use them at slow speeds.

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's odd... Any idea why 25MPH is the magic number? I also mainly use them at slow speeds.
No idea. I do find that if I get up to 25 mph, they come on, and if I then drop back below 25, they remain on for a while. I haven't noticed at what speed, if any, they automatically shut off. I should probably submit a request to have them come on anytime that low-light conditions warrant them, regardless of speed.

Jay79

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope this system works better than the auto wiper function. Just enabled it at the end of my drive last night and pulled into my empty parking lot and nothing happened. I'm going out for a nice long drive after work today though, hopefully I have better results.