Wheel Locks?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, when I saw the Model 3 wheel locks yesterday, my thought was:

$50? What a rip off.

Anyone use any 3rd party wheel locks?

I picked up some gorilla wheel locks (14mm x 1.5). I have the 18'' areo wheels, plan on using the center cap + lug covers.

Anyone else use 3rd party wheel locks? How do they fit under the lug covers?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, when I saw the Model 3 wheel locks yesterday, my thought was:

$50? What a rip off.

Anyone use any 3rd party wheel locks?

I picked up some gorilla wheel locks (14mm x 1.5). I have the 18'' areo wheels, plan on using the center cap + lug covers.

Anyone else use 3rd party wheel locks? How do they fit under the lug covers?
I asked @Mad Hungarian what would be the correct size lugs. Then I found the ones below at Amazon. I got these because they are open lugs and will definitely fit under the covers. I was thinking before about removing the covers and using the little T caps and changing over to chrome lugs, then realized that I would have to always clean in there when I washed the car (or not) and the covers will provide a way not to have to clean there. I digress....These are being delivered today and I will put them on when I get home from my pick up in a few days if I cant talk the Delivery center into putting them on.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Amazon's fitment tool says these aren't right for the 3. Of course, I'd trust that mad man more than amazon.

Are these wheels popular enough to be targeted? I've never used wheel locks but, understand, my wheels have usually been undesirable.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Amazon's fitment tool says these aren't right for the 3. Of course, I'd trust that mad man more than amazon.

Are these wheels popular enough to be targeted? I've never used wheel locks but, understand, my wheels have usually been undesirable.
Yeah, I saw that on amazon. But @Mad Hungarian runs a wheel shop so trust what he says. Worst case I send back to amazon. But I will post here how they fit soon!

As for desirability, IDK but I put locks in all my wheels, even my leaf. You never know when someone will decide they would rather have yours then spend the $ to replace a damaged wheel of their own. And at <$20, cheap insurance

OrangeJulius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve had first hand experience with Amazon’s site declaring a locking nut WOULD fit, only to discover after purchasing that it absolutely would not (could not seat properly, and was twice as tall as the wheel’s other lug nuts.)
And the manufacturer added insult to injury by emailing me that it was my “responsibility to determine which locking nut would fit” correctly despite their information on Amazon. :mad:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I asked @Mad Hungarian what would be the correct size lugs. Then I found the ones below at Amazon. I got these because they are open lugs and will definitely fit under the covers. I was thinking before about removing the covers and using the little T caps and changing over to chrome lugs, then realized that I would have to always clean in there when I washed the car (or not) and the covers will provide a way not to have to clean there. I digress....These are being delivered today and I will put them on when I get home from my pick up in a few days if I cant talk the Delivery center into putting them on.

I put these on last night and they work great under the hub covers for the sport wheels

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
FWIW - If projections are correct and the Model 3 will be the most popular car model ever produced, theft of parts will be very high. Thieves generally target vehicle parts that are in high demand, high value, and easy to steal (like unlocked premium wheels in a ubiquitous car)

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FWIW - If projections are correct and the Model 3 will be the most popular car model ever produced, theft of parts will be very high. Thieves generally target vehicle parts that are in high demand, high value, and easy to steal (like unlocked premium wheels in a ubiquitous car)
While that is true, from living in the city, with wheels car value has little to do with it. It's USUALLY about opportunity (Car in a vulnerable, isolated location) and demand of the wheel. The most stolen wheel in Chicago while i was there was the Honda Fit. Why? Because that wheel size and style was incredibly popular in the aftermarket car community and you could flip the fit wheels quickly. My wife had an 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix that thieves when through a ton of trouble to steal her wheels (she was parked between concrete posts). Sure, wheels of more popular cars will always be targets, but that doesn't mean Tesla wheels will come flying off.

That being said, I'm still using wheel locks. It's a $20 precaution and it's silly not to. I'm curious if the weight of the 3/S/X makes it harder to steal the wheels. Looks like most smaller jacks have a 1.5-2 Ton weight limit, which the 3 is right on the edge of. The S/X are well above the 2 ton limit.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for posting this and letting us know 14mm will work on Model 3 sport wheels.
BTW. I had to buy a 6 sided 21mm socket to use with my old torque wrench for the Key and the old Lugs. I would suggest getting a deep socket if you do it yourself for clearance of the wrench from the wheels and body. I didn’t buy the impact socket (since I am cheap $4 vs $7) and Lowe’s didn’t have a deep regular socket. So I used my hands to ensure the wrench didn’t get too close to the paint! Worked fine but just be careful. Plus, I don’t plan on taking them off myself in the future.

Last edited:

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought the identical wheel locks that Luxman bought even though I don’t have the car yet. Was ordering locks for our other car so threw them in. Cheaper in Canada than in the US (for a change!!!)

Any 14mm x 1.50 short open end lock should work on both the Model 3 wheels. The locks included socket and Tesla’s lugs nuts require a 21mm or 13/16” socket. Deep socket highly recommended. Another suggestion that I’ve always done is to wrap the outside of the deep lugnut sockets with electrical tape to help prevent chips and metal to metal wear on the wheel tunnels

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was just "browsing" the Tesla store and this seems to be a very recent addition for the Model 3.
Now $50 is a bit much. The Gorillas are exactly the same for <$20
upload_2018-3-25_3-22-58.png

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The image you see in the post above from @Sandy is the actual Amazon link.
If it does not work for you for any reason, the item is:
"Gorilla Automotive 78641N Acorn Open End Wheel Locks (14mm X 1.50 Thread Size)-Pack of 4"
just fyi - my browser (and presume some others) does not show the embedded links but just leaves a blank space...
Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 8.59.35 AM.png

victor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
just fyi - my browser (and presume some others) does not show the embedded links but just leaves a blank space...
View attachment 6625
Embedded Amazon links refer to amazon-adsystem.com and most ad blocking plugins will filter them out. If you use such an adblocker you have to manually add a rule allowing access to content referring to amazon-adsystem.com.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Embedded Amazon links refer to amazon-adsystem.com and most ad blocking plugins will filter them out. If you use such an adblocker you have to manually add a rule allowing access to content referring to amazon-adsystem.com.
I was pointing this out more for others to be aware that just because they can see something posted does not mean others can