When is the official app going to be good?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love the official app, but it's nowhere near as good in terms of functionality as some third party apps are. I just can't yet give them access to the key for our M3 so I sit and wait for the official app to step up to the plate with more detailed controls and access to data about the car.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love the official app, but it's nowhere near as good in terms of functionality as some third party apps are. I just can't yet give them access to the key for our M3 so I sit and wait for the official app to step up to the plate with more detailed controls and access to data about the car.
S owners have been asking this for years, so be happy with the improvements they have made in the last year or so, and don’t expect much in the near future (unless you want to always be upset it isn’t what you want it to be).

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What third party apps are better? Asking out of true curiosity. Not challenging the statement. I have tried Remote S and other than the apple watch and siri integration it provides, I don't find the actual app to be much better.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What third party apps are better? Asking out of true curiosity. Not challenging the statement. I have tried Remote S and other than the apple watch and siri integration it provides, I don't find the actual app to be much better.
There's one I've looked into called Dashboard for Tesla that seems to give a lot of data and control that isn't in the official app.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
S owners have been asking this for years, so be happy with the improvements they have made in the last year or so, and don’t expect much in the near future (unless you want to always be upset it isn’t what you want it to be).
I can accept the way it is, but I still will talk and send notes to Tesla about how it can and should be far better.

Rick Steinwand

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I remember correctly, Dashboard, which I've never used, had a history of Wear battery problems and Teslas not sleeping. Be careful what you wish for.

I'd like to be able to view my front, rear and inside cameras remotely through the app. Let me know when that option is available.

Jay79

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I dunno, I think the app is pretty sweet actually. Never had an app for any other car I've owned until this one. I'd imagine it will be updated and expanded on in the future, don't ya think?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchased Remote S a couple of weeks ago for the allure of using Siri to set up all kinds of cool commands. It is great when it works, but it fails far too many times to send the command that I ask Siri to execute. It is great in theory, but falls short in practice. Also, I haven't looked at this scientifically, but I feel like there is more vampire drain since I started using that app. I think I will sign out of it for the time being and revert to stock Tesla App. It's clean, and it always works.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchased Remote S a couple of weeks ago for the allure of using Siri to set up all kinds of cool commands. It is great when it works, but it fails far too many times to send the command that I ask Siri to execute. It is great in theory, but falls short in practice. Also, I haven't looked at this scientifically, but I feel like there is more vampire drain since I started using that app. I think I will sign out of it for the time being and revert to stock Tesla App. It's clean, and it always works.
Agree. I setup Remote S with Siri Shortcuts and it works but it takes a good 30 seconds from issuing the command until it works....when it works. Not practical for opening the frunk or trunk. Maybe its ok for starting the heat from my desk in my office before I start packing up to leave. Still, it's failed in front of trying to show people 1 too many times for me to keep using it often.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'd like to be able to view my front, rear and inside cameras remotely through the app. Let me know when that option is available.
That would require cellular bandwidth that none of us have paid for yet.

There's good potential there for Tesla to make extra revenue if they provide it as a subscription service.

Rick Steinwand

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That would require cellular bandwidth that none of us have paid for yet.

There's good potential there for Tesla to make extra revenue if they provide it as a subscription service.
It could be done while connected to my wi-fi, which is good enough for me.

I'd also like to see it available while connected when summoning.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can accept the way it is, but I still will talk and send notes to Tesla about how it can and should be far better.
absolutely, send suggestions into Tesla - if for the app or the car software.
things I'd like in the app or elsewhere from Tesla (but have some already in Teslafi):
  • full drive, charge and idle data
  • scheduled pre-conditioning and charging
  • start the seat heater remotely (or with pre-conditioning)
  • and maybe most useful - would be the ability to immediately have access to vehicle controls when opening the app instead of waiting for the connection (which sometimes is quite long)

webdriverguy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
absolutely, send suggestions into Tesla - if for the app or the car software.
things I'd like in the app or elsewhere from Tesla (but have some already in Teslafi):
  • full drive, charge and idle data
  • scheduled pre-conditioning and charging
  • start the seat heater remotely (or with pre-conditioning)
  • and maybe most useful - would be the ability to immediately have access to vehicle controls when opening the app instead of waiting for the connection (which sometimes is quite long)
I would like to have the ability to schedule charging from the app.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the app could put my windows down I’d think it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. I do supplement it with TeslaFi for data though.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the app could put my windows down I’d think it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. I do supplement it with TeslaFi for data though.
the S originally has windows able to open/close and the sunroof to close and those were revoked. IIRC, NHTS has a stipulation to close a window or sunroof that these can only be controlled when within vision. - AND - some early owners were having windows randomly open and possibly causing rain damage or security issues (could have been operator error, or an actual bug) so at the same time the closing action was removed (around 2015) the same time the window down action was removed.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the S originally has windows able to open/close and the sunroof to close and those were revoked. IIRC, NHTS has a stipulation to close a window or sunroof that these can only be controlled when within vision. - AND - some early owners were having windows randomly open and possibly causing rain damage or security issues (could have been operator error, or an actual bug) so at the same time the closing action was removed (round 2015) the same time the window down action was removed.
I’ve heard that and there is a very easy solution. Just how the app allows us to lock and unlock the doors — that functionality works as soon as you’re in Bluetooth range even if you haven’t woken the car yet.

The windows could do the same — only work in Bluetooth range.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve heard that and there is a very easy solution. Just how the app allows us to lock and unlock the doors — that functionality works as soon as you’re in Bluetooth range even if you haven’t woken the car yet.

The windows could do the same — only work in Bluetooth range.
but I can use BT from my bedroom over the garage to unlock the doors and I can not visibly see it