Which software updates are you wanting/expecting from your Model 3?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the biggest complaints about the car seems to be software features, but they can be updated over the air!! I'd like to use this thread to keep a running list of software updates that you're wanting, hoping for, or expecting based on Elon Musk's tweets/statements. So please let me know, and I'll update this post! I'll also check off items as they're updated.

Phone/Home Assistant app:
Siri integration with Model 3 phone controls
❑Google Assistant integration with Model 3 phone controls (including controls for setting the temperature)
❑Alexa support - "Alexa set car temperature to 75 degrees"

Apps:
❑Spotify
❑SiriusXM
❑iheartradio
❑Google Play Music
❑Amazon Music
❑Waze
❑Pandora
❑yelp - send location to Nav
❑functional web browser

Other:
❑Software stability - bluetooth car unlocking, etc
❑Improved voice commands (ability to control all nearly all non-driving functions of the car)
❑Full car parking view (overhead camera view)
❑Calendar integration - use destinations in calendar for Nav
❑Expanded scrollwheel functionality -
... ❑control autopilot/ACC speed
... ❑control autopilot distance
... ❑control a/c
... ❑Windshield wiper speed setting
... ❑Map zoom
... ❑Contact/phone number selection (when making a call by voice)
... ❑Contextual scrollwheel controls (depends on what you're doing and features you're using)
... ❑Full scroll wheel functionality on any menu, anywhere, using directions (up, down, left, right)
❑Pre-heat seats from phone app
❑Data displays and power usage graphs/gauges
❑Dashcam functionality / external memory camera recording
❑Useless helper characters to teach you about your car/user interface
❑Wifi
❑Option not to switch to FM when no LTE signal
❑Passenger seat/HVAC profiles (including entry); both independent and paired with driver.
❑Alternative display options for TbT directions (horizontal at bottom or vertical in left).
❑User defined scroll wheel functions
❑Ability to turn off Signature Lights while driving with headlights on (based on reports of glare when snowing).
❑Default and load/level sensing headlight adjustment options.
❑Support for Chademo adapter - assuming this is possible?
❑Rear heated seat control - is it confirmed that there are rear heated seats?
❑Phone screen/app mirroring (like Apple CarPlay/Android auto)

Wiper UI controlled by incremental slider
❑Improve backup camera quality.
❑Backup camera features: green / yellow / red backup lines, with the color determined by the distance to the closest obstacle (per the ultrasonics).
❑Improved USB playback - save the drive index so it can resume from the same place it was when the car stopped, random playback, and playlists
❑Car to car communication platform. Communicate with other vehicles directly in the area through voice commands.

Nav:
❑Improved response time + routes - Musk has already promised a "HUGE" overhaul to be released "soon"
❑Option to move some summary nav info to the left
❑Get routes and notifications from waze (police, road closures, objects in road, accidents, etc)
❑Get navigation destinations from phone's contact info

Physical controls/features:
❑keyless door locks opening from too large of a distance - has this been resolved?
autowipers do not wipe when someone opens the door - resolved.

Autopilot:
❑Less lane bouncing and smoother autopilot driving
❑summon feature
❑improve/fix lane changing
❑improve speed adjustment when others are merging onto the freeway
❑Automatically adjust to a relative speed based on the speed limit

FSD:
❑Freeways only?
❑Side roads?
❑Complete functional release

Not software upgradeable:
❑Integrated universal toll transponder (a must for true FSD) - will this require additional hardware?
❑Soft close (auto retract) frunk
❑Some method of discouraging (beforehand) use of manual door levers
❑Wiper arm servicing position which actually holds them off the glass so it doesn't take three hands to change a blade
❑Heads up Display
❑Optional keyfob
❑Cell phone mount that is near eye level

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Auto wipers swipe with door open issue was only on S (possibly X) I think. Well if it was on 3, it’s resolved for sure.

I want calendar integration. I don’t necessarily need to see my calendar like S/X, but I want to grab from my calendar for navigation destinations.

Beyond that — next smartest thing would be the evolution of the right scroll wheel to do more than mirrors, steering wheel, and voice command trigger.

msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
- navigation from contact info/waze
- turn on heated seats with phone app like you can setup 'climate'
- right scroll wheel to tweak cruise speed

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Summon, WiFi, right scroll customization (autopilot speed & distance).

I wouldn't mind being able to disable the FM radio altogether. When the car loses LTE in my garage it likes to switch to FM in the morning, and radio is awful and I want it not to pollute my car.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Passenger seat/HVAC profiles (including entry); both independent and paired with driver.

Alternative display options for TbT directions (horizontal at bottom or vertical in left).

Integrated universal toll transponder (a must for true FSD).

Expanded and user defined scroll wheel functions (especially EAP settings).

Ability to turn off Signature Lights while driving with headlights on (based on reports of glare when snowing).

Default and load/level sensing headlight adjustment options.

Pie in the sky (might require physical changes):

Soft close (auto retract) frunk.

Some method of discouraging (beforehand) use of manual door levers.

Wiper arm servicing position which actually holds them off the glass so it doesn't take three hands to change a blade.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
A lot more voice activated controls. I know Elon has said that this was coming down the pike. Hopefully it will be in place by the time I get to configure this summer.

On a side note, I am reading a lot of wished improvements that are not software updatable. I hope people realize that things like soft closing frunks and charger support requiring different plug compatibility are hardware issues. Those would require design changes at the factory level.

Dan

arnis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Support for Chademo adapter.
Why should it not work today?

Ability to turn off Signature Lights while driving with headlights on (based on reports of glare when snowing).
Don't they dim when low-beams are on?

AFAIK, the most annoying software shortcoming is cruise control adjustments - must be on the steering wheel.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AFAIK, the most annoying software shortcoming is cruise control adjustments - must be on the steering wheel.
I actually have no issues whatsoever with how autopilot functions today. For me the follow distance is set and forget it. Speed adjustment is very infrequent as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd like it on the right scroll wheel but I don't think it's an issue at all as is.

msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually have no issues whatsoever with how autopilot functions today. For me the follow distance is set and forget it. Speed adjustment is very infrequent as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd like it on the right scroll wheel but I don't think it's an issue at all as is.
Some folks only using regular cruise still want that scroll wheel..

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks all for the great feedback! I believe I've captured all your replies in the original post. Let me know if I've missed anything. Keep 'em coming! I think it'll be great to keep track of all this.

For those that posted about expanded scroll wheel functionality. What would you like to be able to control with them besides autopilot (speed/distance) and A/C?

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If autopilot automatically changed with updated speed limits I wouldn't need the adjustment, but every time I go from a 35 zone into a 45 zone or a 65 zone into a 55 done I've gotta use the display. It's a bad interface.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If autopilot automatically changed with updated speed limits I wouldn't need the adjustment, but every time I go from a 35 zone into a 45 zone or a 65 zone into a 55 done I've gotta use the display. It's a bad interface.
I thought I saw somewhere that you could change the "relative speed" of autopilot. So like if the speed limit was 65, you could set it to 10 mph over speed limit. I'll have to see if I can find that post.

Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those that posted about expanded scroll wheel functionality. What would you like to be able to control with them besides autopilot (speed/distance) and A/C?
Addtional selectable settings I would like to have (these are very low priority):
  • Windshield wiper speed setting
  • Map zoom
  • Contact/phone number selection (when making a call by voice)