Why won't Tesla announce more details about the dual motor configuration?

• Please keep posts on topic and refrain from short messages. Thanks!
  • If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th and still qualify for the $7500 US federal tax credit until December 31 for orders placed before November 30 as all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What other company charges more than five grand for awd versus rear wheel drive in the BMW 3 series market segment?

Tesla always talks about BMW 3 series as a competitor..

Check out this link below and you can see the price differential between rear wheel drive 3 series versus awd of the same model..

https://www.bmwusa.com/byo.html#!/

It's 2 grand difference for awd versu rear wheel drive...

Do you think tesla will be show the door by BMW in value moving from rear wheel drive to awd?

Under five for awd as stated by tesla previously when asked the question should not be surprising...

2 grand for awd from BMW ..

Even 5 grand is about as high as it will go...

When I originally saw under five I thought that was as high as I'd go too...

The value proposition on tesla isn't as high as even vendors such BMW...who is the king of ripping customers new a holes.

Still I'll buy at 5 grand and dump the order at anything higher r awd just out of principa and I'm pretty easy going.

I'm confident awd will be under five
If it’s under $5k I think it will be $4K or over based on the S having been 5k until they dropped RWD and that Elon mentioned many moons ago that AWD would be ‘less’ than on the S. I actually think $4 to $5k is reasonable since your getting a second motor and transmission/differential.

Last edited:

oey192

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have also been assuming that “less than $5K” meant $4K, though I wouldn’t be too surprised if they charged $4.5K. All their pricing for the Model 3 so far has been divisible by 500 so I don’t think they’re going to go with $4999. I would love to see the option at $2.5K but most of their hardware options have been closer to Model S option pricing so I think $4K is more likely than $2.5K

I would be incredibly surprised if AWD by itself is over $5K. They may go back on their word and make it $5K (and not less) but I can’t imagine a world in which they would go over $5K. Every option for the Model 3 has cost the same (e.g. Autopilot) or less (e.g. more range) than the equivalent option on the Model S. Just before they discontinued the RWD Model S 75 it cost $5K less than the AWD Model S 75D. Maybe there was a time when the difference was $2500 but I don’t remember it (nor was I paying enough attention to have noticed)

Now, if AWD has to be bundled with SAS then I wouldn’t be surprised to see that combo cost $6K, but if AWD is offered by itself I think it will be $4K

Note: I have no actual knowledge about future Tesla pricing so use my thoughts about the future at your own risk

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Elon's tweet storm is a good way to sway people his way:

• He wants to build only first production for now but,
  • Canadians want AWD rides but,
  • Elon wants Canadians to buy RWD cars now to push the 200K in the US for July so,
  • knowing the provincial election in Ontario in June, he tweets that if Ontarians want their rebates, they better buy what is in offer now so,
  • Ontarians buy the RWD now to get the rebates and,
  • Elon got what he wants: 200K push in Q3 for the US and production of RWD only sold to Canadians.

This guy is so smart... I would like him if he was not pushing the production of MY car so far in the future :p

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, so the question got answered, but just to address the emotional issues a little I'd offer a few thoughts:
  • If you buy a car now that is not your "optimal car," you can always sell it later (demand will be strong)
  • The cars will continually get better, and the next one will always be the one you REALLY want
  • Tesla is getting better at cranking them out; maybe the wait next time will not be two years
  • Any Tesla is better than No Tesla
  • A Tesla Now gives you preferential treatment for The Next Tesla
  • Sometimes it's nice when a more expensive Tesla isn't yet available because otherwise you'd be broke and living in your maxed-out Tesla and it would smell like french fries and feet (best case) all the time

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Elon's tweet storm is a good way to sway people his way:

• He wants to build only first production for now but,
  • Canadians want AWD rides but,
  • Elon wants Canadians to buy RWD cars now to push the 200K in the US for July so,
  • knowing the provincial election in Ontario in June, he tweets that if Ontarians want their rebates, they better buy what is in offer now so,
  • Ontarians buy the RWD now to get the rebates and,
  • Elon got what he wants: 200K push in Q3 for the US and production of RWD only sold to Canadians.

This guy is so smart... I would like him if he was not pushing the production of MY car so far in the future :p
Definitely possible... Just as he anti-sold AWD against First Production last year for the U.S. market, he could be doing the same now for Canada. My sense though is that the tweets are complementary to the broader strategy of maximizing immediate demand for FP during the ramp to 5K versus targeted at specific constituencies concerned about various tax credits.

Last edited:

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Okay, so the question got answered, but just to address the emotional issues a little I'd offer a few thoughts:
  • If you buy a car now that is not your "optimal car," you can always sell it later (demand will be strong)
  • The cars will continually get better, and the next one will always be the one you REALLY want
  • Tesla is getting better at cranking them out; maybe the wait next time will not be two years
  • Any Tesla is better than No Tesla
  • A Tesla Now gives you preferential treatment for The Next Tesla
  • Sometimes it's nice when a more expensive Tesla isn't yet available because otherwise you'd be broke and living in your maxed-out Tesla and it would smell like french fries and feet (best case) all the time
  • I do not want to sell and buy cars every year or two: I will buy that Tesla and keep it for 10 to 15 years.
  • That is why I will buy a Tesla: in 10 years, I will still get the latest update (hopefully the hardware will be able to survive our nice roads).
  • Next month will be better than in 6 to 9 months: I believe that if AWD start in July, Canadians will not be the first ones to get them. If it comes in May or June... better chance for us.
  • ...As long as you do not buy one every two years: taxes are expensive and not refundable ;)
  • I do not want the next one, I want this one... in AWD: Model 3 is what I want, not S, Y or Y (I am a sedan type of guy :cool:).
  • No interest in P version, LR AWD is all I want (Tan interior would be nice but can live without it).
The hard part is not the two years, is when the car you want is... almost there, so close you can smell it (no french fries smell here, new car smell please).

Grrrreg

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Tesla is going to do what is best for their bottom line, period. What benefit is it for Tesla to extend the rebates in the US? They are what they are. If the cost to own a model 3 in Ontario is suddenly $14,000.00 more, some % will cancel. That impacts Tesla’s bottom line. It may not be huge, but it would be negligent not to try to capture sales in Ontario before the rebate disappears. If I were a betting man, I would say they will try to sell as many first productions in Canada and the US. Then in May AWD will suddenly be available before the election in Ontario.

Grrrreg

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Agreed. But what do you think that is?
As we watch what they do and listen to what they say (with a grain of salt), we can deduce what is best for their bottom line. To avoid complicating production, they will try to sell as many first productions as possible in the US and Canada. But they want to avoid any cancellations that they can, and they know the election in Ontario could result in many. I believe they will make AWD available before they will allow cancelations in Canada.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think most if not all previous owners have been satisfied by now. So going forward the loyalty thing is done, there is no benefit for Tesla to try to extend rebates in the US. First come first served from now on.

greatwiseone

Country
Country
Been waiting for AWD...hopefully the ramp goes well and we see something in July. The only concern is whether Canadian reservation holder will fall behind once July hits and tesla tries to max out deliveries in the US when the credit starts dropping...

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think most if not all previous owners have been satisfied by now. So going forward the loyalty thing is done, there is no benefit for Tesla to try to extend rebates in the US. First come first served from now on.
I interpreted that tweet differently. Someone was specifically asking if Tesla would push off crossing 200k US deliveries to the beginning of a quarter. Elon's response implied (to me) that he included *anybody* who put down a deposit as being within the group that Tesla would be "loyal to" - not just current Tesla owners. For current owners, Tesla had already stated that they would move to the front of the line.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see.