1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Will Autopilot 2.5 slow down for merging traffic?

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by RIP_OPEC, Jul 17, 2018.

1. RIP_OPEC

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have my following distance set to the highest value, 7, and I am wondering if Autopilot will eventually slow down to avoid a collision when a vehicle on the ramp suddenly merges over in front of you.

Several times I had to disengage autopilot and manually slow down when a vehicle merged in front of me, as the tailgating made me feel uneasy and I was worried it would cause an accident.

The screen displayed the car in the adjacent lane, so it knew it was there.

2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Autopilot does not handle merging yet, but I’m sure it will eventually.

As an aside, 7 seems like an overly cautious setting in my experience. At speed, I use 3 and in traffic in lower speed I use 1 and then 2 at slightly higher speed. Have you tinkered with that yet?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ed Woodrick

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Cars merging on are responsible to merge, not the cars on the main road. It is actually a little frustrating and dangerous if the car on the mail road adjusts speed for merging vehicles.
    But, if a car moves in front of you, the adaptive cruise control will adapt.

And yes, 7 is a long gap, which makes it a higher probability that cars are going to jump in front of you. 4 is a much safer standard number and 1 or 2 is better in slower stop and go traffic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RIP_OPEC

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks for the advice, I have lowered the following distance. I had it set to 7 because I thought it would reduce the swerving right then back left when an exit lane approaches and the right line is temporarily gone. Didn't seem to have much effect.

5. Enginerd

Expand Collapse

Country
    Currently driving a Prius, and I must humbly say that sometimes I need a little bit of help from the "main road" cars to integrate myself on the interstate. But, I'm up to the speed limit by 30 seconds, easy.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. timtesla

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I use 1 at all times. Otherwise, people will just merge in front of you at all times, and autopilot requires me to slow down manually too often. Right now it doesnt seem to look for merging traffic, i hope that comes soon, as it would make autopilot much more usable. I live in a big crowded city, so we are used to driving super close anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    This really will vary depending on the type of traffic (type of drivers) you have.

At speed, most drivers here do not drive right on the bumper of the car ahead of them, and people are allowed to merge when they need to. In stop and go traffic, most are feet from the car they are following and lane changes are more of an eye contact sort of agreement with who is moving over and who is letting them over (something difficult for a personless FSD car to do). You can’t always just not let others merge...

• Like Like x 1
  8. John

Tech Founder
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I had several merging situations yesterday, which I was paying close attention to because I was helping a friend on their Model 3 delivery day, and he and his son were driving my car beforehand while I taught them the various systems. So we were noticing and commenting on merging a few times.

Autopilot is "safe" if someone cuts you off right in front of you, like even just three feet ahead (which makes you think you're about to touch, though there's actually clearance). In past versions it didn't always work this well, but it has gotten very solid.The car doesn't freak out, it just backs off smoothly.

That having been said, it won't cooperate with a person beside you. My guess—and it's just a guess—is that only forward cameras are fully incorporated in the control loop right now. Perhaps the side cams are observing in shadow mode, but the car does not alter speed for a car that obviously needs to merge and is just pacing you. To echo what Melinda was saying, I know that at least in California there is a good deal of cooperation that occurs to ease merging, and it helps to be aware that some people really do defer part or all of the responsibility to people already on the highway. I suppose personality-wise, it's no different that people that walk down the sidewalk and expect other people to get out of their way. Some people are kind of oblivious that way, and I'm sure at times when I am distracted I am as well. Depends on what's going on. But right now Autopilot drives just like someone who refuses to budge to let someone in. Once or twice I was tempted to tell the driver of my car to drop out of Autopilot to help, but in each case the merging driver finally sorted it out (speeding up or slowing down to merge with us).

For this and other reasons, I always encourage people to think of the center lanes—not the far right or far left—as the best Autopilot lanes. Almost nothing interesting happens in the middle lanes, at least until you come to forks in the highway, which need to be anticipated so that you can put the car in an "unambiguous" lane for Autopilot to follow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. tivoboy

Expand Collapse

Country
    I find that the car lengths distance setting is really off by nearly a factor of 2. If I really want to be 4 lengths from the car in front, I have to set it to 2 or 3 at the most. If I want 6, it should be about 3. Now, it might not MEAN car lengths, it could be some other value. It's a 1, 2 or 3, etc.

10. Phillyasian

Expand Collapse

Country
    The scale is DEFINITELY NOT Car lengths.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. timtesla

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Its not that i'm trying to be a jerk and stop people from merging, but autopilot cant detect cars trying to merge and brakes quite hard and uncomfortably when they finally enter your lane. By driving on 1 and leaving little space, its a much smoother ride

12. Tophoos

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Before I got the car and hear propel talk about this distance being "car length", I always wondered why the heck engineers would have chosen such a dumb metric.

After my limited use with AP so far, I think it is generally using number of seconds. That is, if the car in front of me hits an immovable wall, how long it will take for me to crash right behind that car. This measurement gives you more distance at high speeds and less distance at lower speeds.

13. Sparky4life

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    That is correct. It's time-based, not distance based. Each increment corresponds to half a second, so as value of 4 means you are 2 seconds behind the car ahead of you. As your speed goes down, the distance decreases for the same setting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. John

Tech Founder
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #14 John, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Mine's gotten very smooth on cut in merges. Helps if they are moving faster than you (which is the polite thing for them to do, not jump in front and slow down).

Here's a video of how well it works in stop and go. The silver-blue car to the right just totally nosed me out without "asking."

P.S. Follow distancewas set to 1.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Falkirk

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This isn't a merging scenario but I'm waiting for Autopilot to handle cross traffic better. I now know what to expect but it's amazing how much the Model 3 slows down for a car way way ahead on the road crossing through the lane, even with the following distance of 1. It's like the car can't process fast enough and becomes jerky with its motions of slowing down then speeding up when the car is pretty much already gone through the lane. No human driver would ever react to this situation I'm describing other than maybe ease off the accelerator a touch but here's hoping v9 improves this again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John

Tech Founder
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Yeah it does wait an awkward amount of time until the car is COMPLETELY out of the lane before it resumes speed and takes the space the other car left.

But remember, you can just press the accelerator to make up for that, with no foul.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Falkirk

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Funny the IIHS just came out with a report and this sounded familiar!

“Unnecessary or overly cautious braking is an issue IIHS noted in the Model 3. In 180 miles, the car unexpectedly slowed down 12 times, seven of which coincided with tree shadows on the road. The others were for oncoming vehicles in another lane or vehicles crossing the road far ahead.”

[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]https://electrek.co/2018/08/07/tesl...keeping-iihs-fails-auto-braking-test-model-s/

It'll get tweaked soon enough for the better.
    [/FONT]

18. ateslik

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    follow distance 1, 24/7. But I always turn on chill mode when using AP, which helps the hard braking a lot.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. NR4P

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I have distance set to 2. Love Autopilot.
    And it does detect merges and slows down. If a car starts to cut in front of me, it does slow down, but admittedly it does this better when its lane to lane vs entrance ramp. Entrances and exit ramps are not handled great.

Example, a week ago in the dark, raining, I was using AP at about 60 mph on Interstate. I signaled to move to lane on right. AP started moving to right and then cut back hard to my center lane. A car had entered where we were headed and AP avoided it. It was dark and raining and not sure I would have seen the car if 100% on me.

20. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This has happened to me less than 5 times in 10,000 miles so it strikes me as odd that they had it happen 7 times in 180 miles. Speaking specifically to the shadow effect.