1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Will the upcoming dash cam update allow 360 coverage?

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by RIP_OPEC, Jul 30, 2018.

1. RIP_OPEC

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #1 RIP_OPEC, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    To date, quite a few poor Teslas were ruthlessly keyed or vandalized.

Now I bet if all exterior cameras were always recording when parked, then punks will know there are consequences for their actions and avoid damaging Teslas because they won't get away with it and face criminal charges and possibly a nice lawsuit from the owner.

I believe this would lower insurance premiums too, not only by reducing the vandalism rate, but also through making it easy for insurance companies to determine that you were not at fault, as you have evidence from every angle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    If/when the onboard cameras are available to pull dashcam info from, I doubt they will record constant parked video. If that is what you are looking for, you should get a 3rd party dashcam

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. processengr

Expand Collapse

Country
    Wow, the cameras recording and streaming would be fun!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. RIP_OPEC

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Using multiple cameras would require additional storage - I figure we could use flash drives for higher capacity, as the Model 3 is capable of playing music from them.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. processengr

Expand Collapse

Country
    This would be huge! I would cough up $$$ to be able to view the cameras remotely!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. cain04

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Free would be amazing, but I doubt that.

If the cost was reasonable, I might consider it, especially if it was 360 (ish) around the car.

7. RIP_OPEC

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Tesla could offer this service completely free, storing the data internally and allowing us to transfer the footage to flash drives without having to upload to the cloud.

The primary obstacle is the limited integrated memory or that the system will begin to overwrite the previously saved footage in a short period of time if it is always recording with the 7 exterior cameras.

I have a solution: Keep the proximity sensors running when parked and once movement is detected within several feet of the car, all exterior cameras will come online. When the movement stops, the cameras will continue to record for another minute or two before turning off. The recorded session could be categorized based on the predicted event, such as "Vehicle", "Person", and "Both/Unknown."

This way, in the event a careless driver swiftly reverses in the parking lot and rear ends you, or if a punk were to briefly walk past your M3, dragging a key along your doors, you'll have all the evidence you need.

In addition to the free 360 coverage, Tesla could charge a fee for a premium upgrade that allows us to view a real-time bird's eye view of our cars whenever checking the app. Last, we could watch any of the short recordings triggered by the proximity sensors from the app too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. Tucker

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    be nice if you could store the data on a plugged in USB Drive