1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Will Total Model X Recall affect Buy Decision?

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Skione65, Apr 12, 2016.

More threads by Skione65
  1. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Country
    #1 Skione65, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    All,

Interesting article and I'm sure it gave Elon heartburn to go to press with his decision but I'm glad he got right on it (ala Toyota-acceleration issues and GM-ignition/key issue). Haven't seen how Teslas stock is doing in lieu of the recall. Also interesting to note that might help Elon/Tesla in this situation (if that's possible) is that the third row seat part known as the 'recliner' was NOT made buy Tesla ( first and second row seats were) but an Australian Company.
    This may cause Tesla to have learned its lesson and Totally manufacture all its parts and product "In House" to have more control. This is not to say they can't/won't have issues in the future but will give them better quality control.

So will the Total recall of ALL 2700 Model X's sold affect your decision to buy the new Model 3... Or Teslas quality control?
    Just a thought.

Tesla recalls Model X for seat problem

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/11/luxury/tesla-model-x-recall/index.html

Ski

2. jkchiang

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maryland
    Won't affect my decision to get the M3, but does reaffirm my belief that it will not be delivered on time.

3. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    This is a non issue for me. If anything it shows me the commitment to getting it right. I was more or less a Beta tester for the Volt when it came out. Had some issues, they got taken care of. An automobile is an incredibly complex piece of machinery. A new design is bound to have some issues. The important thing is how the company and its executives handle them when they come up. I applaud Tesla for being proactive.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan

• Like Like x 1
    • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
      Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Country
      If I was in a position financially to buy a Model X it wouldn't deter me at all given I've beeb watching Tesla for a long time and I know the crazy amount of features and engineering that went into the car. It's a tough car to manufacture but what I also know is that Tesla's service is second-to-none.

This is why I'm not worried about Model 3 quality issues. What does concern me and I'm sure Tesla knows this, is the massive amount of Model 3 on the road eventually will tax their service centres more than they already experience. This is why during the reveal they plan on doubling the number of service centres between now and the end of 2017. And they will keep expanding in the future to keep up with demand.

• Craig Bennett

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Newbury Park, ca
      If someone wants to purchase a vehicle from a manufacturer that has neve issued a recall, the list to choose from would be very short.

Obviously the seriousness of the potential problem is important to note but as already stated, it's all about the commitment to proactively dealing with it that ultimately matters-at least to me.

Craig

• teslaliving

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Boston
      Country
      The X doors and seats are quirky and Tesla is learning their lesson. The 3 won't be quirky that way and I expect it to be a very well refined and simpler design when it goes out. They should be more adventurous on the software side (NAV, HUD etc) and less so on the mechanicals which are very costly to fix and not really their strength.

• Armand

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      San Francisco, CA
      The recall won't affect my model 3 decision. I trust Tesla will learn from all the issues they encountered from the model S and X and won't make the same mistakes in the model 3. This will probably lead to more focus on QA moving forward.

• TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
      Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Country
      As cool as the X is it's totally over engineered and doesn't surprise me they're having a few issues. They'll correct them over time but Model 3 is a totally different animal. It's as straight an EV as you can get. There's nothing fancy in that car that would indicate a problematic design flaw at this point.

• Van Shrider

Expand Collapse

Flavor Chemist
      City & State/Province:
      Ohio USA
      The model X recall doesn't scare me off .
      I figure I'm about VIN 40000 to 50000
      so that puts a lot of beta testers in front of me.