Wind noise reduction by RPM Tesla?

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This just popped up on my YouTube feed. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried it? I don’t think the wind noise is bad at all, but quieter is better. I’m a stickler for this not “looking great” though...

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit

I'm coming from a 2012 Mazda 3. Wind Noise in the Model 3 is a minor issue for me because my Mazda was one of loudest cabins i've had. The Model 3 is a bit louder my wife's 2016 CX9, but that has a fabric sound deadening cover over its sunroof. I'd be surprised if anything short of a covering the glass roof with a piece of fabric on the inside will make significant headway.

As for their solution.....I guess I'd have to see? I'd be worried that the the gaps are there for a reason and extra material will cause issues. Also.....that glass/metal is going to get hot in the summer...I can't imagine having to clean up melted rubber out of that channel.

Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This just popped up on my YouTube feed. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried it? I don’t think the wind noise is bad at all, but quieter is better. I’m a stickler for this not “looking great” though...

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit

I like it, I wonder how it stands up to UV and heat, wonder if it will start failing after a year or two and need replacement. I will get my car tomorrow and drive if for a while to assess the wind noise but I am likely to buy this.

Rhaekar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't notice that much noise but it's worth the gamble for 30 bucks to make it even more quiet. I'll spray it with 303 before installing.

mig

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Road noise is way worse than wind noise. They are fixing the wrong problem IMO. (Not that the road noise is intolerable)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Road noise is way worse than wind noise. They are fixing the wrong problem IMO. (Not that the road noise is intolerable)
I think both are noticeable at different speeds. For me, wind noise really only became noticeable at 60+ mph... not terrible, but it was certainly noticeable... I'd say it was within expected levels for the car. The top of the car is a problem area for ALL cars... any air turbulence at that front roof area will create a lot of noticeable wind noise.. it is a point of high pressure and fast moving air... and is just above our heads and ears. This is why some sunroofs don't open "all the way" unless you press the open button a second time... the first stopping point is by design to block turbulent air that would otherwise enter the cabin at higher speeds. This tubing seems like a simple solution (which oftentimes are the best solutions) with minimal downside... for $30, I'd try it.

EV-Expert

BANNED USER
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just spoke to one of the engineers at Tesla, they said that the gaps are there for thermal expansion, and are absolutely necessary. Tesla surely could have filled those gaps, they have lots of smart people working there. But the glass panels could crack, if they even have the slightest impingement. Warranty will not cover the cracked roof if you do this, according to him. Word to the wise.

RPMTESLA

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like it, I wonder how it stands up to UV and heat, wonder if it will start failing after a year or two and need replacement. I will get my car tomorrow and drive if for a while to assess the wind noise but I am likely to buy this.
We make the large oring cord out of EPDM rubber. 150 degree maximum temp and the best UV resistance. Same polyner as your sponge rubber door seals.

RPMTESLA

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it looks like a great solution. It looks soft enough to not cause an issue with allowing the glass to expand, and assuming that the 150 degrees that RPMTesla noted is actually "150C", there shouldn't be much of a problem with heat. EPDM has good resistance to UV and ozone, so I figure worst-case I might need to replace it in five years.

When I get my 3, I'll evaluate the noise level; if it's objectionable, I'll order this without hesitation.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What’s not looking great. It’s invisble seated below the glass line above the windshield.

Try it you’ll love it. Guaranteed
Probably not the best word choice. Not that it looks bad, but more that it stands out a bit and draws my attention, but then again I’m staring at it because the video is about it. :)

Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@RPMTESLA

Just wanted to thank you for bringing another neat product to the market. I never really thought of the wind noise until you pointed it out. Now I’m thinking about it every time I drive. Lol “thanks” :p

But really, thanks for taking the time to enhance our driving experience by providing new innovative products!

Personally, I’m on the fence on this one, but I get closing the gaps. I just wonder why Tesla would leave a gap that pennies worth of material filling would make such a cabin noise level difference.

Eigenv1

Country
Country
@RPMTESLA

Personally, I’m on the fence on this one, but I get closing the gaps. I just wonder why Tesla would leave a gap that pennies worth of material filling would make such a cabin noise level difference.
The gap is for thermal expansion of the glass. The RPMTesla gasket looks to be hollow and flexible, so should not hamper thermal expansion. At worst, it might bulge a small fraction of a mm.

JBsC6

Country
Country
Sure would hate to have the glass expand and crack and not be covered under warranty...

What does that cost to replace if not covered under warranty?

I'd be cautious.