Windshield sun shade

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Enginerd

Country
Country
Hopefully I'm in the final month or two waiting for my Model 3. One of the "important" details to sort out, of course, is the windshield sun shade. I've been disappointed with the ones that were supposed to fit my previous cars. In the rare occasion that they appear to fit, sometimes they sag and fall down in the heat of the day. I'd like to find a good one before delivery.

Is anyone happy with something they've bought? If so, please include the brand and where you got it. Also, in case there are regional differences, maybe include the dimensions.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought the UVS100 from Covercraft. It took a couple weeks to get but it fits perfectly. I love it!
I finally got mine in today after placing the order on the 13th. It fits great and looks clean from the inside and outside. I've read reviews on another brand for a similar shade that scratched up the dash, but the Covercraft has soft felt on the back side that wraps around the bottom, so I don't see that being an issue. But time will tell, as we've all read about people scratching their Model 3 dash with microfiber towels.

Country
Country
I really wish this one fit my car better. (that and it was higher quality.. but I love the look on the model 3. So I put up with it)
View attachment 11770
I too have this one, and everyone RAVES about it. But, I do wish it fit better. I found the following company that does custom fit "EyeShades". They have hundreds of different eye designs and will produce the shades to your custom windshield specifications. BUT, at $155, it comes at a cost of about 3-4 times most other "premium" shades.

https://www.artisticreflection.com

Derik

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3-4 times most other "premium" shades.
Ouch!

I was actually thinking about buying a nicer one for like $50 and then just putting the eyes on the outside of the window. Maybe trying to find a way where I could attach them together with hook and loop or something.

Bernard

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hopefully I'm in the final month or two waiting for my Model 3. One of the "important" details to sort out, of course, is the windshield sun shade. I've been disappointed with the ones that were supposed to fit my previous cars. In the rare occasion that they appear to fit, sometimes they sag and fall down in the heat of the day. I'd like to find a good one before delivery.

Is anyone happy with something they've bought? If so, please include the brand and where you got it. Also, in case there are regional differences, maybe include the dimensions.
I really wanted an accordion sunshade (so much easier to put up and put away), but could not find any in the proper size. Th "designed for Model 3" shades all seem to be heavy rollup shades (hate those: bulky, difficult to handle) and to have a cutout the size of the entire area around the rearview mirror (silly, since all that's needed is to avoid the stem holding the mirror); on top of that, because it's "made for Tesla", they happily charge you at least twice what it's worth. So I ended up ordering from Amazon a $12.99 (!) shade that works just perfectly,
trivial to put up, and quick to put away after practicing a dozen times ;-)
It fits the windshield perfectly, leaving no opening at all on any side, and the extra fabric in the middle completely covers the area around the rearview mirror. In addition, it is tall enough to tuck under the two sunshades for secure positioning.
Can't comment on durability yet -- just got it 10 days ago -- but if it lasts a year, I'll happily get a new one every year ;-)

Bernard

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really wanted an accordion sunshade (so much easier to put up and put away), but could not find any in the proper size. Th "designed for Model 3" shades all seem to be heavy rollup shades (hate those: bulky, difficult to handle) and to have a cutout the size of the entire area around the rearview mirror (silly, since all that's needed is to avoid the stem holding the mirror); on top of that, because it's "made for Tesla", they happily charge you at least twice what it's worth. So I ended up ordering from Amazon a $12.99 (!) shade that works just perfectly,
trivial to put up, and quick to put away after practicing a dozen times ;-)
It fits the windshield perfectly, leaving no opening at all on any side, and the extra fabric in the middle completely covers the area around the rearview mirror. In addition, it is tall enough to tuck under the two sunshades for secure positioning.
Can't comment on durability yet -- just got it 10 days ago -- but if it lasts a year, I'll happily get a new one every year ;-)
Oops, forgot to mention: get the X-large size. (If you measure the Model 3 windshield, you'll find it fits the X-large measurements very closely.)

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just because I plan to take hikes in the southwest while my car rests unplugged or on destination chargers, I decided a sunshade would be nice. Got the Jumbo one at Costco ($8.99 with two mesh side window shades) which is very similar to that Amazon one.

Fits like a glove and stores nicely in the seat back pocket. Soft material so don’t think it’s likely to scratch anything.

Bernard

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just because I plan to take hikes in the southwest while my car rests unplugged or on destination chargers, I decided a sunshade would be nice. Got the Jumbo one at Costco ($8.99 with two mesh side window shades) which is very similar to that Amazon one.

Fits like a glove and stores nicely in the seat back pocket. Soft material so don’t think it’s likely to scratch anything.
Go Costco! should have looked there first ;-)

mdfraz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've looked at all of the suggestions on this thread for a windshield sun screen; anyone want to give any updates (good or bad) from their original posts? I'm tempted to just go the Costco route if it seems to do the trick.

mdfraz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I appreciate the response. I was hoping to save a few bucks if the Costco shade is satisfactory, though it does seem slightly silly to cheap out on a sunshade on a $51,000 car I guess.