winter mats and the rumor model S mats are the same size?

Discussion in 'Customizing & Modifications' started by Racer X, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Racer X

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Does anyone have both a model 3 and a model s? can they please check to see if the floor mats are a match as I would like to order weather tech but want to make sure they match... weather tech as of this winter does not have model 3 specific floor mats... I'm sure someone has a 3 and an s.. I have an x and a 3 they don't match up well... Maybe you a friend who has a model S and you can put the mats side by side? Please measure soon as "Winter is coming". (little play on game of thrones there)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. PatrickM

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This is a great post that I kept meaning to ask to same question.

I also read the post where someone said that WeatherTech Model S floor mats fit a Model 3, but didn't read anyone else say the same thing to confirm and I don't want to buy Model S ones if they won't fit.

I do have friends with Model S's but they don't Weathertech floor mats.

I wrote to Weathertech last week and asked them to add Model 3 floor mats but didn't hear anything back.

3. TheTony

It happened.
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It would be interesting if the S and 3 match. The entire point of WTs, though, is that they custom measure the car to produce the mats, so I'd be surprised if they were actually a true match, as opposed to simply fitting in the car.

It shouldn't be too hard to find someone with both and who owns WTs in the S, so I'm definitely keenly interested in this, as someone who planned on purchasing aftermarket mats.

4. MyBluBu

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    Bought a set of the Lloyd Rubber-Tite mats for my 3. I have the mats but the 3 won’t be delivered until next week. I saw this thread and figured I’d see if they fit into my Model S. The front mats are similar in shape but not exact. The rear mat has a similar shape also, but it is a little smaller than the Model S mat.

So I would say that while similar, the mats aren’t the same.

I bought my set of Lloyds to hold me over until the Tesla version of the Weathertechs become available. I did the same thing with my Model X since it took a while before the Tesla mats were available for the X also.

5. msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Anyone else try these? The site claims to know Tesla Model 3 - I'm wondering how accurate the fitment is.. never had this brand myself before. @MyBluBu can you post a picture or 2? thanks!

6. MyBluBu

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    Sure. Just went out into the garage and snapped a few pics. Excuse the dusty footprints! ;) That's why I installed them before I got in the car at delivery - I wanted to make sure carpet mats stayed clean and any 'footprints' would be on the all-weather mats.

The DS looked kinda strange when he saw me bring in the mats and install them. They had actually already installed the Tesla rear trunk mat that I had previously called and ordered from the Parts Dept (I was afraid it wouldn't make it before deliver since they moved my date up, but it arrived earlier that day) . The DS started with a comment, "We installed your all-weather trunk mat for you already, what's that?" After I explained that I had purchased all-weather mats for the interior - they seemed puzzled and said, "But they aren't available yet!" Then I told them they were aftermarket mats,they got really interested and offered to help me install them. That was soon followed by a "These are nice! They are pretty thick and they fit perfect! Who makes them? How did you find out about them? Mind if I ask how much they cost? etc... Answered all his questions and told him that I had did the same thing for my X before the Tesla mats were available and they worked great, so decided to do the same for the 3. I do like the sidewalls on the Weathertech mats and will likely get those when they come available, but these are a great inexpensive interim solution. He thanked me for the info and said that he would pass it on to others who they deliver 3's to.

I purchased my mats from Downard Automotive http://www.matmyride.com/custom-mats.html?product=RT

I actually asked a bunch of questions to make sure I got the correct mats because I wanted a 'runner' mat for the rear floor and not 2 individual mats. The person who answered all my questions was Andrea Downard - she was great and made sure I got exactly what I wanted. Free shipping and got the mats in about 3 days. I think the pricing would be the same at all the places who sell the Lloyd mats, but Downard's customer service was outstanding! I'll definitely do business with them again.

Here's the pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    thanks much!

8. Lovesword

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Nice! I just posted that I’d done the same thing, lol. (Just a different brand). The difference kinda looks like hex and circles!
    https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/my-model-3.5943/page-3#post-74100

9. iluvmacs

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Just got my 3 yesterday and tried putting the Tesla OEM mats from my S inside. Others have apparently done this and thought it was good enough, with "minor modifications" to the rear mat.

Personally I found the differences unacceptable:
    - The front mats do not have a way to latch in place. The Velcro system is not designed the same way, so the mats will just float around on the floor (big danger for driver). Yeah, I could come up with a new Velcro system, but that seems kludgy.
    - The front mats fit pretty darn well. If there weren't any other issues, I could put up with their slight mismatched shape.
    - The rear mat is pretty much a no-go in my book. The side that fits against the rear seat fits great. The side that faces the front seats won't even come close to fitting around the front seat floor rails. One would need to cut four notches for the rails, probably 2" wide and 6" long. Once you do that, it may not look great and/or it will allow water to seep off the edge.

Guess I'm waiting for Tesla to get the ones for the 3 done. The service center told me WeatherTech hadn't even measured a car yet, so obviously it's not going to be anytime soon :(.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. GTV6

Expand Collapse

Country

Any reason they couldn't release the mats quickly once measured given the size of their operation and the many different sizes for different vehicle they offer? There are already owners I'm certain nearby who would drive over for measurement....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheTony

It happened.
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    You would think so. They do laser measure, so I would assume they'd need it at their operations facility to get that completed. However, one has to think that it wouldn't be that difficult to find an owner willing to do that.

The other thing that doesn't quite add up, to me, is that the frunk & trunk mats, which have been available for some time from Tesla directly, appear to be rebadged WT products, so something was clearly either measured or dimensions provided to them. Unless those two products are not actually WT but just look similar, that is.

12. MyBluBu

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country

The frunk and trunk mats are definitely WT products and I'm almost certain the interior mats will be also. This is the same as they did for the X - the frunk and trunk mats were available first, then after a while they released the interior mats in stages (not all at the same time). I purchased the trunk mat when I picked up my 3 - see pic below.

See my post #6 above for an option on interior mats if you want some before the Tesla/WeatherTech mats are released. If it's anything like the X, it may be a while before we see the interior mats from Tesla. Let's hope not, though!

Here is a Pic of the trunk mat (definitely a WeatherTech product) - nice fit also!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  13. TheTony

It happened.
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    That's what doesn't add up to me - others here have indicated that WT told them they were waiting to get their hands on a Model 3 to measure it. The fact that the frunk/trunk mats are WT would seem to indicate that they've already been able to measure a 3.

14. MyBluBu

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I hear ya - same was true on the Model X. You would think they would release them all at once.

15. iluvmacs

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Perhaps they are willing to do the frunk/trunk off of drawings, but require actual scanned measurements for the floor mats?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. iluvmacs

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Well, manufacturing something takes a while. It's not like they can have an injection mold made in a few days, get some samples made, and evaluate them (and then perhaps make changes). Those sorts of things take months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sandy

One obsession to the next
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Weathertech obviously produced the ‘Tesla’ branded frunk and trunk mats for the 3. Weathertech may very well have a contract with Tesla to provide the ‘Tesla’ branded Floorliners as well for the 3 for sale through Tesla same as they did with S. It makes sense then for Weathertech to produce the ‘Tesla’ branded mats first for sale on Tesla’s website and in SC’s and then later at a contractual date populate their own site with the identical ‘Weathertech ‘ branded products as they later did with S.
    As mentioned above it was probably relatively easy to produce the frunk and trunk mats for Tesla based on drawings. The Floorliners are much more complex.

18. TheTony

It happened.
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Per their own marketing materials, their branded cargo/trunk liners are also laser measured.

There a number of possible reasons for the unavailability of their own branded trunk/frunk mats and unavailability of floor liners entirely. Hopefully their product development team isn't still waiting on measurements, since those shouldn't be too hard to come by, at this point.

19. Racer X

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    I own a black model 3 and really needed mats for the North east weather.. I bought the front drivers and passenger mats from weather tech directly last week but ordered the 2018 model S mats... They fit great... drivers is right on... passenger had a 1/16" gap off the door side but a 50.cent long piece of Velcro worked great and they fir like a glove... Just order the model S front mats and you will be fine ( if you cant wait)

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Pics?