Winter tires size

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hey guys,

Is there any tire pros here that could tell me if this is a good idea or not?

Usually, a smaller width tire is better in snow duringdwinter.

Would 225/45R18 be a good idea instead of 235/45R18? The problem is the load index. 225/45 only comes with a 95 load index. As far as my math goes, 95 is enough for the model 3.

This size also allows me to get the Blizzak WS80 which I used on my previous CUV (Subaru Crosstrek) and really loved them.

They would be fitted on the Aero wheels.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Winter Sottozero Serie II that Tesla sells are only 94 load index so I think 95 would be fine too. Cannot comment on width.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The Winter Sottozero Serie II that Tesla sells are only 94 load index so I think 95 would be fine too. Cannot comment on width.
The Winter Sottozero Serie II that Tire Rack sells are 94 load index. I asked Tire Rack why they are not recommended for my Model 3 when Tesla sells the same tire and was told the tires sold by Tesla have a higher load index and they must be buying the entire supply because Tire Rack cannot get any.

Can someone with the Pirelli winter tires sourced from Tesla tell us what the load index is on the sidewall? The photo on the Tesla website is not sufficient to read that.

tencate

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got 4 Michelin X-ice on my car now, they actually look small on the factory 18 inch rims.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Winter Sottozero Serie II that Tire Rack sells are 94 load index. I asked Tire Rack why they are not recommended for my Model 3 when Tesla sells the same tire and was told the tires sold by Tesla have a higher load index and they must be buying the entire supply because Tire Rack cannot get any.

Can someone with the Pirelli winter tires sourced from Tesla tell us what the load index is on the sidewall? The photo on the Tesla website is not sufficient to read that.
I asked my Service Advisor and he said they are 94. I ended up buying the Sottozero 3 from Tire Rack with a 94 load rating.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I asked my Service Advisor and he said they are 94. I ended up buying the Sottozero 3 from Tire Rack with a 94 load rating.
So, either the Tesla Service Advisor is wrong or the Tire Rack Rep. is wrong. It would be good to get a confirmation from someone who has actually purchased the Pirelli's from Tesla.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, either the Tesla Service Advisor is wrong or the Tire Rack Rep. is wrong. It would be good to get a confirmation from someone who has actually purchased the Pirelli's from Tesla.
I would go with Tire Rack being wrong. They probably base it off of what the stock all seasons were. But yes, confirmation would be good.

Kermit

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Someone locally is selling a set of X-ICE 3's. Size is 235/45R18

I'm thinking "Great! That's my size!"

Tire rack says yes:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice+Xi3&partnum=345HR8XI3XL

But the same size and type of tire (Michelin X-ICE XI3 235/45R18) on discount tire's site says it's not compatible with m3:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-235-45-18-MICHELIN-X-ICE-XI3-Winter-Snow-45R-R18-TIRES/312243532538?fits=Aspect+Ratio:45|Section+Width:235|Rim+Diameter:18&hash=item48b32a32fa:g:zIoAAOSwAOxbxL0l#vi-ilComp

So - are there some x-ice 3 in 235/45R18 that are different from others? How would I know which are for sale? The local seller only knows the brand and size, what else do I need to know before buying tires that might be 'incompatible' even though they're the right size?

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Someone locally is selling a set of X-ICE 3's. Size is 235/45R18

I'm thinking "Great! That's my size!"

Tire rack says yes:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice+Xi3&partnum=345HR8XI3XL

But the same size and type of tire (Michelin X-ICE XI3 235/45R18) on discount tire's site says it's not compatible with m3:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-235-45-18-MICHELIN-X-ICE-XI3-Winter-Snow-45R-R18-TIRES/312243532538?fits=Aspect+Ratio:45|Section+Width:235|Rim+Diameter:18&hash=item48b32a32fa:g:zIoAAOSwAOxbxL0l#vi-ilComp

So - are there some x-ice 3 in 235/45R18 that are different from others? How would I know which are for sale? The local seller only knows the brand and size, what else do I need to know before buying tires that might be 'incompatible' even though they're the right size?

Check the tire sidewall. Looking for XL (extra load) 98H (load rating) and GreenX. If they match your good to go.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice+Xi3&partnum=345HR8XI3XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel Drive

Kermit

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks - so if it's not XL, 98H and GreenX it's _not_ compatible?
I assumed if it fits, it fits. Not the case?
The GreenX part isn't critical, because that label is just Michelin's branding for their eco-friendly tires with lower rolling resistance (which reduces fuel/electricity consumption).

Load range, load index, and speed rating (XL and 98H), however, are very important, because they reflect the tire's ability to handle specific vehicle weight and speed thresholds. TireRack has a pretty good explanation of what the different numbers and letters mean, if you're curious:

How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions
Load Range / Ply Rating Identification

Sandy

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks - so if it's not XL, 98H and GreenX it's _not_ compatible?

I assumed if it fits, it fits. Not the case?
Bokonon is correct. Bottom line is any 235/45/18 will fit but the XL and 98 load rating are important if you want to match OEM specs.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I would go with Tire Rack being wrong. They probably base it off of what the stock all seasons were. But yes, confirmation would be good.
Still no confirmation from anyone who purchased the winter 18" Pirelli's from Tesla? We are looking for the load range on the tires sidewall.

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Bokonon is correct. Bottom line is any 235/45/18 will fit but the XL and 98 load rating are important if you want to match OEM specs.
But the word on the street is the winter tires being sold by Tesla for the Model 3 are only load range 94. If true, how important can it be (if Tesla themselves have approved a 94 load range tire)?

Sandy

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
But the word on the street is the winter tires being sold by Tesla for the Model 3 are only load range 94. If true, how important can it be (if Tesla themselves have approved a 94 load range tire)?
Both the Pirelli Sottozero Series 11 and Sottozero Series 3 in 235/45/18 are load rated at 94V on Tire Rack. The Series 11 is OEM Porsche so that would be Porsche’s spec. Tesla’s spec may be the same or different. As long as the load rating is able to support the fully loaded vehicle’s than it’s acceptable. A 94 load rating is fine for the Tesla Model 3’s weight.
My comments above pertained to the Michelin X-Ice in question. As they are second hand with an unknown age or rating I just wanted the buyer to compare them to the current rating from Tire Rack for the current version of the tire to make sure he’s buying something compatible.

Tesla’s OEM ratings vary as well. OEM 18” Michelin’s are XL 98W (1653 lbs 168 mph) , OEM 19” Conti’s are XL 96W (1565 lbs 168 mph) and the OEM 20” Michelin XL 92Y (1389 lbs 186 mph).