1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Wood type for dash?

Discussion in 'Design' started by evelectricity, Aug 20, 2017.

More threads by evelectricity
  1. evelectricity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Country
    Has there been any confirmation of the type of wood trim is used on the Model 3? I believe ash is used on the S, but no mention for the 3.

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    it has not been mentioned, no. The grain does not look like ash.

3. evelectricity

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Country
    We found a closeup after I posted that and it looks like Beech.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    And honestly it would be nice if - at some point.... - a minimum amount of choice would be possible... I would love a somewhat darker wood myself... :rainbow::):rainbow:

5. ReD eXiLe

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississippi
    Country
    Cork? Bamboo? Sassafras?

6. Headwind

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Knoxville, TN
    Country
    forget wood, Im dreaming of it being carbon fiber!

7. BobLoblaw

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna BC
    Country
    Looks like beech to me. I'd love the darker obeche (I think that's what it's called?) from the S. Super classy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cobourg, Ontario
    Country
    It's open pore wood. Should easily accept any wood stain color available. After staining if desired you could top coat with a flat, low lustre, semi-gloss or gloss acrylic polyurethane varnish. We turned our golden oak railing into dark mahogany this way. Looks great.
    You could test different stains and topcoats on similar wood samples first.

• Like Like x 3
  9. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm hoping like many other car interior components, the wood is easily popped out and replaced by a wide assortment of aftermarket options or maybe something personally handcrafted.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Sandy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cobourg, Ontario
    Country
    Best solution.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bobbymo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Wisconsin
    Country
    Also would like a carbon fiber option. It's available on the S and X, so hopefully it will be on the 3.

12. JBsC6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Northern NJ
    Country
    Why are they putting wood in this vehicle? I'm sure it will be possible to change that out for something else at least from the aftermarket.

The hi tech nature of this entire vehicle is in stark contrast to a wood panel in the dash.

Just my opinion..who ever in the aftermarket comes up with a fast easily implemented solution should make a nice profit until tesla starts to offer a non wood solution..

I'm glad as it just made it that much easier to avoid the premium package...that was like the nail in the coffin for many...

I expected better performance or maybe I was just dreaming that a performance model would be available for maybe five grand that dropped zero to 60 into the fours....considering tesla s model S at 69 grand base model S does that run in 4.3 seconds.

I'm ok with it but it changed my perspective on loading the vehicle up with a lot of options....I see this vehicle now more as a basic value closer to base trim. Maybe I'm just a cheap SOB after all..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    An open pore wood finish does NOT imply that it will take any stain. You can create an open pore look by putting a thin finish over a wood with large open grain. Such a finish would not take stain well (for some definitions of well), a pigment stain would accumulate in the grain but not affect the other regions; while a dye stain like wouldn't do much at all; and a pigmented finish, would give an overall color shift.

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sandy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cobourg, Ontario
    Country
    True. We changed our railing from golden oak to dark mahogany on the railing and baseplate. We did the spindles white. The golden oak was finished in semi-gloss polyurethane. On the advice of a high end cabinet maker we did a very light sanding followed by using MinWax PolyShades. This product is a one step stain and polyurethane. Took 3 coats to get the desired depth of color. Followed up with a low lustre acrylic polyurethane. 5 years now and standing up great. Did samples on various scrapes of wood first. The MinWax is really a great product.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ReD eXiLe

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississippi
    Country
    I think that very word, 'stark', is precisely why the strip of wood is there... I think the idea is that having the Spartan interior is more than enough for 'The Masses' to get used to as it is... Thus, with a completely black interior, likely with a Piano Black strip on the dashboard just as is the case on the center console, it was presumed to be just a little bit 'too much' and the decision was made to turn the dial back a notch on the Black Hole Death Pit of Doom look, no matter how much Elon Musk liked it. Reviewers have pretty much universally commented that the wood 'brightens' the interior somewhat, so it had the intended effect it seems. I think that the white seats with a white trim on the dashboard and door panels would have similarly brightened the interior, but still would have been seen as too 'stark', maybe even 'antiseptic'. That's why they didn't go with that either for initial releases. But I certainly believe there will be quite a few options in the months and years to come.

If 'better performance' does not appear to the level I originally expected...? I'm going to blame it on what rumors and innuendo point to as a possible change in motor design philosophy for the Model 3. One that uses permanent magnets instead of purely three phase copper windings. This confuses me, because though it may have been done for 'good' reasons, particularly an improvement in energy efficiency, I see it as a departure from the Performance oriented nature of Tesla's vehicles in times past, possibly for the sake of financial concerns. There were two things I argued with absolute vehemence over the last 3+ years: 1) that Tesla would NOT use permanent magnets in their motors -- EVER; and 2) that Tesla would NOT release Model 3 with a 50 kWh or smaller battery pack. And, at this time, it seems I may well be completely wrong on both, and that sucks.

I presumed for quite some time that the Model 3 would simply use an updated/revised version of the same motor that was used in the Model S 40 and Model S 60. I also assumed the car would get a 60 kWh battery pack, perhaps with around 54 kWh usable, and that would be enough to provide in excess of 300 HP and 300 lb-ft torque in the base model. Instead it seems that at best the car will have a 54 kWh battery pack with ~50 kWh usable, and that it will produce maybe 260 HP with less than 300 lb-ft torque. The result is... passable... The car will have off-the-line performance that kills all other electric vehicles available for less than $50,000... But at least 'by the numbers' it will be behind a few key ICE vehicles in its price range.

I'd have preferred that the base version of the car blew the doors, roof, frame, trunk lid, and gas cap cover off EVERYTHING under $50,000 from the outset. And then got even worse for the World of ICE beyond that. But you can't stuff a size 22 butt-whuppin' in a size 6 shoe. I realize, of course, that in practice, a 0-60 MPH run of 5.6 seconds will probably blow the doors off a 4.6 second ICE fairly well in the Real World. I'd just like the bragging rights to match that reality in print as well.

Further, it seems there is no avoiding the likelihood that the fully loaded version of the Model 3 in Performance trim will indeed be knocking on the door of pricing for the Mercedes-AMG C63 and Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. That will make it a very expensive car, and not quite the absolute 'bargain' I was hoping for, at about the same cost as the BMW M3/M4 to start... The good news is that I still have no doubt that INSANE mode will bring 3.2 second 0-60 MPH times, while LUDICROUS will knock that down by about a half second to around 2.7 seconds. Still not quite as quick as the Tesla Model S P100D -- but more than enough to crush direct competition, while destroying their Nürburgring times by going below 7"20' on that track before the end of 2020 on the smaller, lighter chassis.

16. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Yup. There is a wood (bamboo) floor in the Tesla factory in the area where cars get a final inspection. I couldn't find it, but I recall an interview where Elon said that inspections must happen in a place of beauty. or some such. I suspect a similar thought went into that wood strip.

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I am astounded by the degree to which people have gotten complacent about performance that a short time ago would have been the sole purview of actual race cars, and rich people toys costing more than most people make in a decade. A Prius could beat a 1980 Mustang Cobra in 0-60. No one ever needed that performance. Most people won't be able to ever use it. It is solely about ego, and endangering others. I wish Tesla had managed to lower the performance and with it price.

Thank you kindly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I typically only like a wood trim on a beige/tan interior and prefer aluminum/carbon fiber on a dark interior car.

In this case, I'll see what it looks like when the car comes in and that will make the final determination as to whether I want to find another solution for the trim ($$$ matters though) or in person I may really like the contrast.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kriffic

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    SFO
    Country
    Has it been confirmed that the Model 3 with white interior will not have wood?

20. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Changing the trim on a Model S is not terribly difficult, it just takes a few basic tools and time. If they're smart they designed the Model 3 trim to be easily removable so owners can personalize it. There's a whole cottage industry waiting to get their mits on this car to start the process.

Personally I love the wood trim. It really warms up what is at the moment a rather dark interior. I'm not one for all black, I like contrast.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1