Working on lighted rear applique

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I've asked Jurgen Baltizky, the owner and operator of tesla-lights.net, to work on development of a lighted rear appliqué for the Model 3. Jurgen is a fellow Model S owner and we teamed on the rear lighted applique for the Model S. He's now completely taken it over the business.

I had a spare old Tesla OEM for the S so I jerry rigged it to roughly fit on the Model 3. Photo below. It's too wide but that can easily be fixed.

IMG_0277.jpg

Hopefully this can be developed for the 3. It's my most cherished mod on my Model S and I really want it on my 3. Also below is a video of it in operation on my Model S.

AllaninAtlanta

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Before this post I really didn’t like the idea of adding that silver strip to the back of the 3s. But with those lights I’d be ready to order one today.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Late last night I thought of a solution, if it works, that would make this much easier to install and much less expensive than the versions for the Model S and X. I’ll contact the manufacturer to see if my idea will fly.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Can it just plug into the plate light for power?
That's a possibility, but we have to design it first and see what the amperage draw is, then test possible power sources, including that. I already have a feeler out to a manufacturer but it's tough for me to imagine that the idea won't fly. Its not new technology, just a creative implementation of some proven stuff.

Last edited:

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Something about me wants to like this, but I truly think it better suited for a man cave wall. Just a bit in your face, which is what so many Tesla people get accused of anyway. Just my opinion and a plus 1 for I won't be signing up to purchase if you want to start gauging interest. I'm guessing I should visit Tesla-lights.net and check them out however, since there is obviously some demand and other products.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Something about me wants to like this, but I truly think it better suited for a man cave wall. Just a bit in your face, which is what so many Tesla people get accused of anyway.
Understand, but I can tell you that I can't count the number of times I've seen drivers behind me take photos or videos of the lighted rear applique on my Model S. Most people who have an opinion about it think it's one of the coolest accessories they've ever seen on a car.

On the production front I heard from the manufacturer (in the Netherlands today). This is definitely possible. I'm sending them info on dimensions tomorrow and they'll get back to me on the technical approach. The plan now is the the TESLA letters will light red when the running lights are on and brighter red when the brakes are applied. They'll also be a simple hand-held remote that will enable the driver to change the colors of the letters when the car is parked and add some flashing effects (e.g. lighting green or flashing when the car is being charged). As that kind of thing is illegal when the car is moving we'll have some kind of device that prevents these effects when the car is on the road.

We're looking for an easy to install version that will be far lower in cost than the lighted rear appliqués for the S and X.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
It's in the hands of the manufacturer right now. Should hear from them next week. They will also be producing lighted front and rear Ts for Model 3, S, and X. They'll all be front lit rather than side lit, as are the current s and X version.

As for the Model 3 rear applique I also have an electronics expert working on a canbus connection, which will eliminate the need for all that wiring on the S and X versions.

The Model 3 version will have a very thin (1-2mm) COB LED sheet embedded in a polyurethane strip (like the version that Evannex sells) with the TESLA letters open to the LED sheet light. With double side tape on the back it will be incredibly easy to install. We're trying to figure out if the letters can be lighted separately, which will enable us to provide most of the special effects of the S and X versions.

Stay tuned.