1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Would the Model 3 make a good police cruiser?

Discussion in 'Design' started by Gorillapaws, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Would the Model 3 be a good police cruiser?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
More threads by Gorillapaws
  1. Gorillapaws

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    richmond, va
    Country
    I know the LAPD experimented with the Model S as a police cruiser. It's a pretty expensive vehicle for that though. I'm wondering if Tesla could design a version for the police with a stripped-down interior, possibly using the external cameras for recording evidence and the central display for running police software? Obviously this wouldn't happen until the initial wave of demand has been satisfied, but I think these could be nice police cruisers in theory. What are your thoughts?

2. Watts4me

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Houston
    No way.

3. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Ultimately I think it's too nice (expensive) to make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ModFather

old CARmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    SoCal Inland Empire
    Country
    I think the Ludicrous would make an excellent PD cruiser - both speed and economy. It's funny you should bring this up, but I broached that subject with a couple of CHP. I said what you're driving now is never going to be able to keep up. They grinned at me and said, "do you think Ludicrous is faster than a police radio?" Point well made!

But no, EM will not be going after government business right now. How can he when he has 500K+ order to fill right now that could balloon to 1M orders over the next year as a result of the positive reviews already being written in the automotive press. He doesn't need government business right now whereas Ford and Dodge do............now more than ever to stay afloat in the onslaught from TESLA!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    In all seriousness though, the police generally won't engage in a chase with ultra fast cars/motorcycles for public safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Police spend a lot of time sitting in their cars with the engines running (for climate control), having an electric would be a great boon.

Of course, they would have to convince Tesla to make a batch in 'police car pink'.

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I was just going to say this may be true in California, but in Florida they will happy chase you all night long, across lawns and parks. Then I saw you were from Florida!

Shall we do a google search for "florida man" ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Would the Model 3 make a good police cruiser? Yes, I think it would. As @Topher states, cops are often idling their engines for hours at a time. An electric car is much more efficient at that kind of work. It would cost a lot less to fuel the cars, and they could just refuel overnight. And it certainly sounds like performance would be better than any other current police cruiser.

There are many reasons why it won't happen. First, police need seats without bolsters, so their butts can fit along with everything on their hips. You would also need to fit a division to separate the criminals in the backseat from the people in front. And you want a backseat that can be hosed out after drunk people inevitably throw up back there. So the interior would need a redesign to accommodate this stuff.

Secondly, the larger police departments employ people to perform all of their own maintenance. They've already invested in a lot of infrastructure for this, including:
    • their own gas storage & pumps
    • body shops that can work with steel
    • mechanics who know how to work on combustion engines
    They would need to throw away much of that sunk cost and buy all new infrastructure to support EVs, such as
    • A whole bunch of level 2 charging stations
    • body shop tools for working with aluminum
    • Tesla will need to release service manuals for the Model 3, something they still haven't done for the S or X.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    There are a lot of urban PDs around here that use hybrids and some EVs already, more for their parking enforcement as they are always stopped or crawling all day.
    Then I remember visiting Veil years ago, and shocked that their police force all drove Audis.

Teslas won't be for state police departments that can only afford the super-cheap crown vics, but there are many towns and citys that I am sure will find huge value in outfitting a few Tesla cruisers, especially now that they will only cost $35000. I can't wait to see one fully outfitted in blue lights.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ReD eXiLe

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississippi
    Country
    Municipal Law Enforcement, those who stay within the borders of their own city/town/hamlet/village 99% of the time, would absolutely be able to use the Model 3 to replace their ICE fleet for daily use as police cruisers. I believe that in order to ensure the Model 3 becomes as ubiquitous as possible this is one of many markets that Tesla must pursue. As long as the cars are built to accept accessories such as light bars, push bars & winches, passenger dividers, and the like, budgetary costs could be cut by a wide margin. With a bit of convincing, even larger organizations like Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Los Angeles County Police Department, and California Highway Patrol could adapt to driving electric all the time.

Some point out that police cars are in use 24/7, and cannot 'take time off' to recharge, but that is not true. Every police station I have ever witnessed seems to always have dozens of cars just sitting in the lot at various times of day. And they also sit in the lot at courthouses for hours on end. Plenty of time to recharge. Where private automobiles are probably parked somewhere 90% of the time, I think it likely that even with heavy use, police cars are parked somewhere at least 50% of the time. More than enough to get and maintain a decent level of range.

So, fire/life safety, law enforcement, taxi/cab, and rental/leasing fleets can all make use of the Model 3, if those in charge are willing to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1