1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Yet Another Model 3 Wheel Thread

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Steven, Jul 10, 2017.

More threads by Steven
  1. Steven

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Country
    Ahh wheels. I'm not sure what I'll do there. There's not enough difference in appearance between 18's and 19's in my opinion. Depending on if the width is also upped (we don't know that yet, do we?) then stability and braking performance can be enhanced, but at the cost of acceleration (noticable? Probably not), comfort, and range... not to mention $$$.

I'm sure people have gone over this exhaustively, but I haven't followed. Doing a Google image search I see a Model 3 in real life (r/c) having 235/40 R19's. I'm surprised they're that narrow for a 19. Going over to tiresize.com it looks like we *can* fit anywhere from a 225/70 R14 all the way up to a 325/25 R20 without affecting speedo/sensors at all (ie. identical outer diameter). Taking a 1.5% sensor hit (which may not be wise on a car so reliant on sensors!) we can eek out a 295/25 R21.

Interesting is that the equiv size 18's are 305/35 R18... considerably wider than the 19's. I'm guessing they'd go with the 235/45 R18 instead, which is 0.4% out and probably acceptable (an even narrower 215/50R18 is also 0.4% out the other way. That would maximize range). Of course, I'm basing this all on the 235/40 R19's being "correct", which is flawed logic, I know. Has anyone confirmed yet what is real?

I'd be curious about going to 14s :) Mushy ride (good and bad thing depending on the quality of roads you drive) and... well, the look would be interesting lol And range would be improved, slightly anyway (unless the 18's are 215's).

2. ModFather

old CARmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    SoCal Inland Empire
    Country
    Steven, now that we have talked you back from the ledge, I am happy to see your rehabilitation is going so well now that you are talking about important stuff like wheels! This is the fun part about dreaming and planning for the day YOUR car arrives and you behold for the first time with eyes and mouth agape and the bully Bummer boys will have their noses pressed against the Tesla showroom windows with their Groucho glasses on! Go to the "tire diameter" thread to catch up on some of the stuff you have questions about. @Mad Hungarian is extremely knowledgeable but surprisingly a really nice guy for a Hungarian, and always willing to help.

Remember, rehabilitation is a 12 step program and you just have to make it one hour at a time.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Steven

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Country
    I'm sure that thread is somewhere. I have a hard time finding things on this forum. It isn't the greatest layout, at least with my phone.

4. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Country
    Having had dinner with our Mad Hungarian friend I can attest that he is both a great guy and a fount of knowledge about wheels. As my friend Charles says there are only Hungarians and those who wish they were.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ModFather

old CARmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    SoCal Inland Empire
    Country
    #5 ModFather, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Try this thread!

6. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Country
    Lots to address in this post and happy to do so, but suggest we take it over to the Wheel/tyre discussion thread. Or the Wheel Gap thread as suggested by @ModFather
    Can we kindly get a mod to make this magic move?

7. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Country
    @Daliman you are too kind. With all the depressing politics going on back in my half-ancestral-homeland (yes, I'm only 50%, but that's without question where the Mad comes from) I will take any good PR that I can get :)

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  8. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Wheel-related posts have been moved to this nifty new thread.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Country
    Thank you sir.
    Hopefully we can keep all the round stuff under one roof so I don't go anymore Mad than necessary trying to keep up.

So as was mentioned by @MelindaV and @ModFather it is indeed just about certain that anything smaller than 17" will not fit due to the size of the brake components. I'm even a little up in the air at the moment about 17" as when the first M3 RC with the Turbine/TravoltaPants/ElvisPants/WhateverWe'reCallingThemThisWeek wheel design first appeared back in late March I initially thought they were 18", and the dark/foggy/low-res wheel portions of the images also made me think that there might be smaller/cheaper floating caliper brakes for the base version. Such is the risk of pontificating with flimsy evidence.
    Since then it's been well established that the V-spokes with aero covers are 18" with 235/45R18 tires, the T/TP/EP/WWCTTWs are 19" (can someone please tell me what name the Hive Mind has decreed they shall carry) with 235/40R19 tires, and I never again saw another RC image that suggested the brakes were anything other than a slightly downsized version of the 4-piston monobloc caliper type that we see on S and X
    So now assuming those are the only brakes we get on any version it may still turn out that a 17" with just the right design will clear those brakes for those seeking ultimate winter traction or the cushiest possible ride. I need to get my hands on a production car to find out.
    Have measuring gear, will travel. Anywhere.
    My personal plan for my P75D is to go a staggered 19" setup, probably 235/40R19 fronts on 19x8.5 and 265/35R19 rears on 19x9.5. Should fill in those fenders perfectly, maintain a reasonable ride and if paired with lightweight wheels offer a good compromise between range and performance.
    Then again if the P75D winds up coming with the Alpha's 20" stagger, and I discover it doesn't ride like an WWII-era Soviet military truck on our local bomb-cratered roads, I may stick with that and just swap the wheels to something from the company repertoire. We shall see.

• Like Like x 3
  10. ModFather

old CARmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    SoCal Inland Empire
    Country
    Now you just confused me, which is easy to do. I thought you said in the other thread that it was not advisable to change the OD of the wheel (rim+tire). If that is the case, how do you "fill those fenders perfectly" if the OD remains the same regardless of whether you use 17, 18, or 19 rims? The fender gap will remain constant if the OD is all equal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Country
    Sorry, I meant fill those fenders horizontally, not vertically. I'm OK with the reasonable amount of vertical gap seen on SN1, it's the fact they're just a wee bit too tucked in - especially the rear - that I'd like to fix. Easy enough to do with a bit more width and maybe some offset tweaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ModFather

old CARmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    SoCal Inland Empire
    Country
    Two words: WHEEL SPACERS It is the more cost effective way to address offset than new rims. Bringing those rear tires closer to the fender edge will require fender splash guards, this I know from experience - hello aftermarket ;) ;) ;)

Another question, some posters have asserted that there are fewer tire choices for 19" rims than 17" or 18" rims. For example, I am 100% committed to Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires for my Tesla 3 (anyone want to purchase my brand new OEM tires at a great price?). They only come in 15, 16, 17, and 18 size. Does a 19" rim severely limit tire selection?

13. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    UK
    Country
    #14 Jayc, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    I'd take whatever size it is designed for and not bother with modification. How can anyone other than Tesla even begin to consider all the design scenarios and operating conditions applicable to such a modification. How can you even be sure in an emergency braking situation or collision, the car will react as per safety tests. That's the very reason why changing wheel size voids warranty and insurance around here.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Country
    My day job is to come up with well-integrated wheel/tire upgrades for both OEMs and the aftermarket, so I am fortunate to have a bit of a head start in this department.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. UncleT

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    DC
    Country
    #16 UncleT, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    It looks to me like the rear calipers are the floating type on Elon's car. I think all the RCs I've seen have had this "mismatched" setup.

upload_2017-7-12_16-55-54.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Country
    Confirmed. All RCs spotted have had floating rears, my comments/observations were just about the fronts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Mad Hungarian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Montreal, QC
    Country
    At the moment the choices in LRR for 235/40-19 are somewhat limited, but the Michelin Primacy MXM4 is one and does have some LRR in its mix. Rest assured though that when there are several hundred thousand M3s needing replacement tires in a few years there will almost certainly be lots more high efficiency choices available in this size.

19. JBsC6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Northern NJ
    Country
    Aftermarket 20 inch wheels designed with the same look will or could be successful.

Sell two at a time?

Maintaining outside diameter to stock is important for active handling and ABS braking.

I think the rear 19 inch rims are one inch too small for the visual heft of the large rear of the model 3.

The nice part of all four wheels being the same size is people can rotate tires which some people think is important.

20. viperd

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    texas
    Country
    What would the differences be between the M3 with factory 18 vs 19 wheels? And how noticeable would they be?