1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Yikes ... Elon quote from the shareholders meeting...

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by SoFlaModel3, Jun 6, 2017.

More threads by SoFlaModel3
  1. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    The configurator will open in July along with the first deliveries but there won't be a lot of options. Pick your exterior color and pick your wheels.

Yikes!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I'm a little surprised. I thought there would be ~3 packages, with one for "immediate production", and the other two "to be produced a while later".

I hope Tesla can provide some kind of guidance as far as waiting for dual-motors or the performance option, and the likelihood of still qualifying for a full federal rebate if you choose to wait.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm just worried after waiting 18 months, I see 3 paths...

1) Get lucky and the initial configuration is what I want
    2) The car has what I want but the bundle adds things I don't want and now it's too expensive
    3) I get the car with missing features and a few months later they're available

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sclyde

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Salt Lake
    Country
    I'm hoping that they at least announce all of the options (and pricing) in July, so we know what we're potentially waiting for. Doesn't make sense to me that they're not allowing full configuration up front with very generic "delayed availability" text. Sounds like the options will be limited as it is, seems smarter to let people configure what they want to get an idea for what's actually wanted. Starting to feel like someone who reserved months after reveal can get theirs before someone who waited in line pre-reveal.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    Elon said that timing would also be available on the configurator as well for known items.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. sclyde

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Salt Lake
    Country
    Good to know; I wonder if known items includes everything being announced in July. We'll obviously know then, but I want to know now! :)

7. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them releasing future options or pricing at the initial rollout. They want to encourage as many reservation holders as possible to settle for the initial cars as they are. By giving people the information on future possibilities for the car it only encourages people to wait for what they really want.

I will be waiting...at least initially.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JBsC6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Northern NJ
    Country
    Pick your color and pick your wheels...got to lov Elon for his frankness...

I'm sure as time goes on options will become available...

Jahahah

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. sclyde

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Salt Lake
    Country
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. And that would make sense that their intention is to get as many people as possible to settle for the basic configuration. I too will be waiting (however impatiently) for a performance configuration. Unless they release the details in July and it makes more sense to settle for a CPO S.

10. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    The recent article on CPO Model S's being released was intriguing with many of them down into my realm of possibility when it comes to price...however...almost none of them have even Autopilot 1 in them. That is the one feature that is a must for me.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. John Slaby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Milford, MA
    Country
    Elon continues to be very cautious about discussing the Model 3 feature roll-out, and as far as I'm concerned, that's fine. We know there will be a gradual introduction of features/options as the production line gets stabilized, but it looks like they still feel the production ramp up has enough risk in it that they want to stay firmly focused on making sure it is an overwhelming success above all else. Without a successful ramp up, availability of features will be pointless. Despite my anxiousness surrounding all of this (especially as we get closer to launch), I keep reminding myself that I am in this in part for the long term vision of a sustainable future. The success of the Model 3 as an industry game-changer is central to this. If I must wait a bit for a key feature and that means I miss some part of the federal tax credit, or I choose not to wait for a feature to get my car sooner, then so be it, but I do it knowing I am part of something bigger than all of us and that's a really cool thing.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    What Elon does not say here is what do you all get in this initial package, in addition to the 75 kWh battery, RWD config plus the color & wheels you get to choose and... how much will it cost...?? Seems to me those are still a couple of biiig unknowns, which will influence how many buy immediately and how many delay!! ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    This all but confirms day 1 the $35k car won't be available. I think we already knew that with the rumored 75 kWh battery at launch. I guess I'm ok with that though on some level I think it's bad business to talk about a $35k car that no one can get.

In the end, what does this do. It may lead to people waiting. Waiting is good thing for Tesla because they have so many orders to fulfill.

The bad thing is that many of us reserved on 3/31/16 including before the unveiling. You step up to the plate, process your car, and take delivery some 18-20 months after making your reservation and giving a deposit. You will be devastated if a few months later there is an unknown option at your time of order that makes its way into the design studio.

As a for instance, I want a panoramic roof, will settle for a glass roof, and will not take a metal roof. Let's say the day 1 configuration is glass roof and there is no mention of panoramic roof. I'm happy, the option I ended up with was acceptance to me but if suddenly a few months later the panoramic roof is there I would be upset.

Same for the seats...

We've seen rumors of tan, white, and black.

If we aren't picking, are they selected based on the exterior color we choose?

Ahh so many questions.

Quick check... nope the Model S I want is still well into the $80s.

Elon please make the day 1 configuration make sense!!!

UPDATE: this is the second coming of Model T. "You can have any color you want so long as it's black"

14. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Hold on. The one thing you have to keep in mind with Elon is that he's not particularly explicit when it comes to statements.

I'm sure it won't be just 2 options, he's just saying something off the cuff. So keep an open mind and don't take it literally.

However is does jive with what I was told a couple of month ago that they're pushing for more prebuilt configs at launch to help with the ramp up. They will add more as they go.

If you don't see the options you want just wait a bit. What's the rush?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    You were spot on. I suppose there are 2 reasons to not want to wait longer.

1) We've waited a while and we're antsy
    2) The $7,500 credit. It will definitely be a $3,750 credit if you wait

I'll throw in #3 for fun... my new license plate that's coming soon won't look right on my ICE car ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    To be fair, Model S owners have been suffering from this since its inception. When you have a car that is so upgradeable and a car company that believes in releasing a feature when it's ready, not save it for the next model year, people are going to feel burned on some level. "If I had only waited a month I could have had X,Y,Z feature".

With Tesla I think that particular feeling is pretty much a given. Make your decision, pull the trigger and then STOP LOOKING AT THE TESLA CONFIGURATOR! ;) Be happy with the decision you made.

Dan

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  17. sclyde

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Salt Lake
    Country
    To @SoFlaModel3's point, I think we're all just primarily concerned with settling for an early config, only to find out that an option we really wanted becomes available sometime after. I'm ok with waiting, as long as we know the options up front.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Remember that every car, including the one delivered on day 1, is essentially a derivative of the base case $35k vehicle, with options and/or (forced) packages coming at a premium over that base price... I am highly skeptical anyone was going to get a Model ≡ for $35k, without any option anyways... Granted, they start with the 75 kWh which makes everything more expensive. Yet I am confident the 60 kWh battery will be added, within 3-4 months.

If you are an early reservation holder, you have the luxury to trade a few nice to have options for an earlier delivery... or to wait to (hopefully...) get all that you want... Some of us can only wait, then, if all goes well, we'll have more to choose from! ;)

In my case, it's waiting until 1-2Q19... Did I hear HUD, anyone?! :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Yes. You've stolen my quote that Tesla is not for the feint at heart with the option and lineup changes happening so fast.

I need to remind myself if I like the configuration get the car and enjoy my Tesla grin!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Johnm6875

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Auburn
    Country
    I expect Tesla is very motivated to make options available as soon as they are sure they will not cause a problem. The margin on the base car will be 15 to 20% but the options will have margins over double that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1