Yolandi: garsh's Performance Model 3

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are a few things I'd like to mention about my own car, but there's no good existing thread, and it doesn't seem worthwhile to start a new thread for each separate issue, so I'm going to just make a thread about my car, since that seems to be a thing. :)

Introducing: Yolandi

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took Yolandi in for service yesterday. I had a short list of issues for Tesla to fix:
  • Signal for left turn goes full-on instead of 3 flashes at first detent (this is the issue that I most want fixed).
  • Rear view mirror has some gouges (being replaced)
  • Right front fender slightly overlaps bumper.
  • Passenger-side black plastic mirror piece is coming off a little.
When I left work to take the car to Tesla, it developed a new issue: surround view was not working, so autosteer was disabled. Sounds like an autopilot camera went bad, so they're fixing that too (good timing on that failure!).

I received a Model S 100D loaner. Thoughts about the S 100D compared to a 3 Performance:
  • My 3 is quicker, but not by a whole lot (official 0-60 is 3.6s vs 3.3s for my 3).
  • The regen in my 3 seemed a little stronger. I had heard that the RWD 3s had weaker regen than S's, so I thought mine might as well.
  • Sport steering in my 3 is much heavier than sport steering in the S. But the S has the smaller 19" wheels, while my 3 has the 20" wheels, so that might account for some of the difference.
  • The S is a noticeably wider car.
  • As bad as the rear view is in the 3, it almost seems worse in the S.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla app shows that they updated my car to 2018.39.7.1 this morning. :)
I believe I was on 2018.39.7.
I hope I can pick it up on my way home today. I much prefer my 3 to this S.

Dr. J

Private
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not planning on making many modifications to my car, but I've made two already:
Winner rating was for the headrest posts. OMG! I'm doing this immediately!

Beautiful car, BTW. Just like mine, except for the wheels....and the extra motor.....and the Performance stuff....but otherwise identical! :)

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Winner rating was for the headrest posts. OMG! I'm doing this immediately!
I originally did that on my Leaf.

I don't know what kind of double-pipe contraption the person in the video used. I bought the following from Lowes, and it worked wonderfully by itself:
24" black iron pipe

Also, I didn't bother taking the cover off the headrest. I just wrapped it up in a towel for protection, and placed it in a wood vice to hold it while I bent the posts.

Bigriver

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
As you were probably one of the most informed new Model 3 owners ever, I’m curious if you’ve had any surprises, good or bad, since getting it? Anything you are more-than-expected delighted with or geez-I-didn’t-expect that?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As you were probably one of the most informed new Model 3 owners ever, I’m curious if you’ve had any surprises, good or bad, since getting it? Anything you are more-than-expected delighted with or geez-I-didn’t-expect that?
Interesting question. Overall: this is the best vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm very happy I got one. There are lots of things about it that delight me, but for the most part I was expecting everything after having test-driven several Teslas, and after owning an EV (Nissan Leaf) for the past 6 years.

There are a few things that I wasn't expecting, and found a little disappointing after having taken delivery:
  • The accelerator pedal is touchier than I like. I find it a little difficult to perform low-speed maneuvers in the garage & driveway. Creep mode is helpful in this case, but I otherwise prefer to keep creep mode off. The Leaf in ECO mode was wonderful at this.
  • All the paint issues. I knew Teslas had problems with their paint jobs, but I didn't expect the sheer number of problem spots mine has. But it's nothing noticeable from 3 feet away, so I'm just living with it.
  • The range of the Performance is quite a bit less than the RWD. With all the talk of the first 3s getting ~340 miles out of a full charge, I thought a Performance would get close to 300 miles. It's turning out to be more like 260-280 miles in regular driving.
  • Autopilot doesn't shy away from cars in the lane beside you. I'm getting used to it now, but it made me really nervous at first.
None of these are a big deal. They are just things I wasn't expecting, and didn't realize until after I started driving the car myself. I'm extremely satisfied with the car. :)

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you have a picture of the bumper overlap? My wife has a slight overlap, not sure if it’s worth worrying about.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The accelerator pedal is touchier than I like. I find it a little difficult to perform low-speed maneuvers in the garage & driveway. Creep mode is helpful in this case, but I otherwise prefer to keep creep mode off. The Leaf in ECO mode was wonderful at this.
I really like the idea that someone else suggested in another thread: save a second profile with creep and chill on for maneuvering in your driveway etc that you can switch to with a quick tap.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really like the idea that someone else suggested in another thread: save a second profile with creep and chill on for maneuvering in your driveway etc that you can switch to with a quick tap.
Yep, I saw that thread today.
When I got my car home, I created a "parking" profile with creep turned on. I'll give it a try and see how I like it. :)

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Were there a few reasons you went with black vs. white interior? I would think the white goes nicely with the blue paint job.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you have a picture of the bumper overlap? My wife has a slight overlap, not sure if it’s worth worrying about.
I made a video for you. :)
It's pretty minor. It doesn't look like they were able to make it any better. This video was shot after getting the car back.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made a video for you. :)
It's pretty minor. It doesn't look like they were able to make it any better. This video was shot after getting the car back.

Thanks! That's more obvious than my wife's, so I guess best bet to leave it alone. She's also not OCD like me :)